Character Education at Tracey
What is Character Education?
- A set of shared values that expresses what our school stands for. At Tracey, that is our PRINT.
- A way in which relationships grow and become the backbone of a school community. We call this - The Tracey Way!
- The manner in which students are taught academics, but also given opportunity for their social and emotional skills to grow. This is the integration of Character Education is in all subject areas at Tracey.
Problem Solving/Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Neighborly and Taking Responsibility – Our core values of PRINT:
- Support student learning
- Foster relationships
- Guide communication
- Enhance problem solving
- Hold students, staff and parents accountable
Tracey Magnet School became both a State and National School of Character in 2019, by Character.org. Schools go through a thorough application process, site visit and various stakeholder focus groups before awarded State or National Status. Schools much adhere to 11 Principles in an effective way:
- Core values are defined, implemented, and embedded into school culture.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intention and proactive approach to develop character
- The school creates a caring community
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character and helps them succeed.
- The school fosters student’ self-motivation
- All staff share the responsibility for developing, implementing and modeling ethical character.
- The school’s character initiative has shared leadership and long-range support for continuous improvement
- The school engages families and community as partners in the character initiative
- The school assesses its implementation of character education, its culture and climate, and the character growth of students on a regular basis.